The Bestest Cupcakes I've Ever Made (recipe)




White Wedding Cake Cupcakes

This recipe makes a TON of cupcakes. I got 18 regular sized cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes and still had a little batter left over that I threw out {I know I should be shot}.

Ingredients:

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) box white mix {I used Duncan Hines "Moist" White Cake}
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 large egg whites

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325*. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.

Fill prepared cupcake tins about 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes {mine took more like 22 minutes for the regular cupcakes and 13 minutes for the minis} or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool completely then frost.

*You can also use this mix to make a cake. Pour into greased and floured cake pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.




Wedding Cupcake Buttercream

This recipe did NOT make enough frosting to frost all my cupcakes. I had 6 leftover cupcakes that went unfrosted and I threw them out {yes, once again I should be shot}. I failed to notice on the recipe that it said it only yields enough frosting for 12 cupcakes...DUH! So I would recommend doubling possibly even tripling this recipe if you want all your cupcakes frosted.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
{Start with 1 tablespoon then add more if needed. I only ended up using 1}

Directions:

In a large bowl, with a hand or stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for desired spreading/piping consistency.

Scoop into a piping bag and pipe decoratively onto cupcakes, or spread onto cupcakes or cake as desired.

*I used a Wilton 1M tip to frost my cupcakes. Sprinkles are optional but c'mon who doesn't love sprinkles?